Credit Rating

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Credit Rating

Post by JohnWillimas »

Now our credit rating has been down-graded from AAA to AA does that mean they have to replace the batteries in the Bank of England with bigger ones?

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Credit Rating

Post by airboatr »

I'd certainly offer my expertise changing them out. NC of course.
I admire the bold step to stand on your own two feet.
I understand not everyone is on the wagon to leave, I wish only the best for you all.
Ride out the turbulence, clear skies

Cheers.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

BREXIT caused my sim to crash. Well I have to blame it on something. :wall:
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote:I'd certainly offer my expertise changing them out. NC of course.
I admire the bold step to stand on your own two feet.
I understand not everyone is on the wagon to leave, I wish only the best for you all.
Ride out the turbulence, clear skies

Cheers.
With respect Joe, we haven't left to stand on our own two feet - we've always done that, and long before we joined the European Economic Community, as the E.U. was then known, in 1973. If anything, being its second biggest economy, and a net contributor to the E.U. budget, other E.U. members were standing on our feet.

In the run-up to the referendum, I was torn right down the middle - my heart said leave while my head said stay. What decided me was the fact that my younger daughter has been living in various short-stay leases in London while her new apartment completed, so she wasn't registered in any constituency and was unable to vote on something which was of great concern to her. I therefore gave her my vote - to remain in the E.U.

This referendum result is going to have far-reaching consequences, both for Britain outside the E.U. and for the E.U.itself, which must now examine why we left, and what it must do to answer the growing clamour within other member states for their own referendums.

Have we really made the right decision ? Only time will tell, but right now the national mood is quite sombre. Rather than celebration and flag waving, there is a palpable sense in Britain of 'Oh my God, what have we done ? '.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

They really don't understand it this side of the planet. I try and explain it thusly to friends and neighbors. Consider NAFTA as being roughly the equivalent of the old Common Market. Then imagine it morphing into a political union incorporating all North America and Central America. Then it could equate to USA = Germany, Mexico = France and Canada = UK. The rest = the rest of Europe. Now think consider how would you like laws being made in Managua (Brussels) and court judgments coming out of El Salvador (Luxembourg) and all these things from faceless men who were not elected and you cannot get rid of.
Now I supported the idea Brexit on the above grounds even though it at the moment may cost me upward of $200 per month in lost pension. I knew the Pound would fall, it was inevitable. Money men, being the timid little grey men that they are have no appetite for change. I had no vote not being a Brit even though I lived there and paid taxes for over 30 years. I am confident-ish that UK will recover and prosper if sensible cool heads prevail.
The whole thing was handled really badly imo. I think Cameron should have just allowed it to go ahead, as people requested and then kept out of it, then he would still be PM (you could do way worse). But there was so much acrimony, misinformation and downright lies from both sides on the lead up.
Onward and upward chaps. pip pip and Tally-ho.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have to say that I voted for leave and the reason for doing so was seeing so many changes made to our country through unseen, unelected officials whom I have neither seen or heard of. They say that we have a veto that can be used if not in agreement to any decision but as far as I am aware about 85 vetos that were cast were all denied!! :rant:

I well remember Britain prior to joining, we were independant and able to make our own laws without interference and importantly trade globally, admittedly there were problems in industry and finance but a lot of our problems concerning maufacturing etc were through the unions especially in the late sixties:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabi ... sation.htm

What really got me annoyed was the way the EU treated us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -week.html

As far as I am concerned I have great hope that Britain will soon pull together and become stronger but we must not allow the EU to dictate to us on what terms we should leave. Only watching these EU Politicians heckling and being rude towards Nigel Farage really made me angry at their childish attitudes. :rant:

We are far better away from the lot of 'em especially Junckers and Merkle. Now we might in future have to rebuild Hadrians' Wall if Scotland remains!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting article: http://www.vernoncoleman.com/howthebritishmedia.htm

That's my rant over with.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Paul K wrote:
With respect Joe, we haven't left to stand on our own two feet - we've always done that, '.
Hiya mate,
I ran what I wanted to say in my head a few different ways, so as I wouldn't insult or sound condescending, or patronizing... Somehow though, I still managed to put myself in.

:hide:

Marijn
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Marijn »

Although I do respect the freedom of each country within the Eu to decide whether they stay or leave I do not think that this decision has been made on the right issues.
For example, (I am Dutch) we paid 8.4 billion which was raised from a total of 15 million people, the UK paid 14 billion raised from 64 million people....
We received back 2 billion via various stimulation programs where as the UK received back 7 billion (!) so actually you guys paid around 7 billion and we....6.4.
So per head per annum we paid about 427 and the UK 110...euro's that is. So who is the biggest payer?

I am not very fond of politics but as Churchill put it: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others... which still is true.
We can vote for all people in governement, yes also for those who represents us at the Eu council. So we put them there, we as in we the people.

As far as I can tell all people are benefitting from the EU, we have spread the money amongst the poorer countries but that created new markets for us....
Like the US did after WW2 with the Marshall plan, did it cost them money or did they gain some? In the end they gained a lot.

From my perspective, and I have seen the same at various referenda, different things are being discussed but the issue at hand. As one of the others stated previosuly, you all could do worse then having Cameron for a prime minister
Now who is gaining from this situation? And why is he in the Brexit camp? And, more important, what will he do for you?

Let's hope everything is working out well for all of us. I don't like to see anybody left out in the cold.

cheers,

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Well said, Marijn. A shame the "remain" campaign in the UK was so feeble at making points like these.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I'm a British citizen resident in Italy since 1989. Until now I've never had to consider becoming an Italian citizen but this morning I've been in the local 'Preffetura' making enquiries about applying for citizenship here. It should be straight forward as my wife is Italian and I've been here a long time.
The good news is that Italy is comfortable with dual citizenship and it's not necessary to renounce my British citizenship. Just as well as I've been informed that the UK does not recognise the renouncing of citizenship. You can't stop being a UK citizen like you can't renounce the Muslim faith! :hide:
Nigel H-J wrote:I have to say that I voted for leave and the reason for doing so was seeing so many changes made to our country through unseen, unelected officials whom I have neither seen or heard of.
Nigel.
I don't understand this Nigel, in the same way that you got to vote for your local MP at Westminster you also had the right to vote for your MEP in Brussels. The rest of the bureaucracy in Brussels is not directly elected or appointed in the same way that you didn't elect the House of Lords, the British Supreme Court, or the civil service etc. I voted for my MEP here as is my right as a European citizen her name is Alessia Mosca. How many know the name of their MEP?

I do believe that the European Union is in need of reform but you need to be in it to change it. I really hope that the UK manages to negotiate a good deal with the EU, but I don't believe that you can have your cake and eat it. You won't get the privileges without the obligations and I don't see why you should expect to.

I do respect and understand many of the motives for voting leave, but on balance I feel it was a mistake.

Good luck
Jon