McAfee or Kyspersky?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

McAfee or Kyspersky?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Can any-one advise which I should go for, either Kyspersky which I can buy for £19.99 at Argos or McAfee which is around £17 at PC World (special offer).

I used ot have Kyspersky many years ago and it was excellent then but I have heard that Mcafee is much improved from the past and would like to know which you would advise.

Both suits have multiple user licence which is good as Babs has just bought a new laptop and I can use whichever for both hers' and mine.

Long time since I have had anti-virus and Firewall so well behind on the market at the moment.

Both advertised at £19.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6149752

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing- ... GwodUyEIPw

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: McAfee or Kyspersky?

Post by Dev One »

Or --you can have SOPHOS Home - its FREE!
I've used payware Sophos for some time as it came with my PC as loaded by my son, but then that licence ran out, so swapped to the free version. It seems to run in the background & it says it looks for updates every hour! It certainly gives one a warning if one hits a potential dodgy site. Sophos seems to be used by government agencies.
I also have a payware AVG which again I've used for many years & is currently on both our laptops - mainly because I bought a couple of years licence before using Sophos Home.
Other people say that M$ Defender is sufficient, but I think that only comes with 8.1 & W10.
Confused....? Me too.
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Keith, did a spot of googling and found that Kaspersky came up very high in the recommendations so going to go for that.

Remember now that Lincoln City Council ran Sophos but until I read your reply I did not know they did a freeware version oh well, maybe next time. :doh:

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

It is a minefield making a decision on this subject, what is best one month may and probably will the following month be superceded by another product. Then of course there is the blatant bias displayed by some reviewers.
My solution - Microsoft's own (and its free) - now called Defender and used to be Security Essentials. In combination with Malwarebytes (not free after the demo period of 1 month) and Bitdefender anti-ransomeware (Free)
I have NEVER had a virus that has not been caught (touching wood & fingers crossed) in many years of t'internet use. In factm in the opast I have had MS's own catch and delete viruses which other allegedly more sophisticated offerings have failed to notice.
Alex

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Personally, I use AVAST free (it has some annoying nagware, trying to persuade me to upgrade to the payware version), as this consistently comes top of the freeware AV software reviewed by Computer Active magazine whom I have trusted for many years. If I was to go for payware, it would be Kaspersky Internet Security. The same magazine has rated this the top payware AV for several consecutive years.
Vancouver wrote: In combination with Malwarebytes (not free after the demo period of 1 month)
Alex, Malwarebytes is free and remains so. I downloaded the free version many years ago, and continue to receive updates (current V 2016.11.19.09).
I'd also recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free.
Vancouver wrote:I have NEVER had a virus that has not been caught (touching wood & fingers crossed) in many years of t'internet use.
You cannot know if you have a virus that's not been caught. AV software is always a step behind the virus developers and can only detect it once it is aware of it's existence. Therefore, if your AV software gives your PC a clean bill of health, all it's really saying is - there's nothing on this PC that matches anything in my virus database.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
Alex, Malwarebytes is free and remains so. I downloaded the free version many years ago, and continue to receive updates (current V 2016.11.19.09).
I'd also recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free.

True, but it runs as free in a cut down version of the commercial product - what the difference is I cannot remember, but I use it like you as freee.

You cannot know if you have a virus that's not been caught. AV software is always a step behind the virus developers and can only detect it once it is aware of it's existence. Therefore, if your AV software gives your PC a clean bill of health, all it's really saying is - there's nothing on this PC that matches anything in my virus database.

I agree, but that is like the MOT (yes I know it is not called that anymore but everyone knows what it is) test - which means that your car has passed all the tests in the moment but may develop a fault overnight for which you may get you a ticket or a summons. :(

Kevin
Alex

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Have used Kaspeerski for several years now Nigel. No complaints.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Graham, :hello: I used to have it many years ago but also had McAfee at one time, as I have been off the internet a long time I wass stuck on deciding which of the 2 to go for, presently running Avast Free until I get Kasperky on Wednesday, Argos have it for £19,99 with a licence for three computers so that gives me one computer spare! :lol: :lol:

Think this is the best time of the year to buy as lots of bargains can be found. Had ordered Kaspersky on-line and now just waiting for it to come into the store.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Why didn't you buy the download version. You could be using it now!!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ummm....Oh! :doh: After having been off the internet for such a long time I'd forgotten I could download! :hide:

Age hasn't improved either my logic or thinking! :worried: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.