FTX Central

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

FTX Central

Post by dodger »

Hi, i have been trying and trying and trying and about to though in the towel to get ftx central to open after installing ftx england on my pc in fsx, orbx do not now support xp and i have looked and tried from the net but nothing!

i re-installed fsx i have anti-virus/ malware /registry cleaner etc but what i can't understand is i have always used ftx central before with England/Wales and the PNW without any trouble, i am at a loss to know what could cause it not to open.

one thing else should the fsx exe show in the windows task manager under processes? it is not but i do not understand if it should, if you know what i mean!

Any help would really be appreciated,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: FTX Central

Post by GHD »

First, let me say that I won't entertain any Orbx products since after purchasing their Australia series, they completely knackered my AutogenDescripions.spb.

Having said that, I use XP and FSX is just a normal program and should be visible in Task Manager:

George

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi George,

Oh well i have tried but it's not going to open so i have removed orbx from fsx, shame really because up until now i have had no trouble with any of the scenery from orbx,

I still can't see the fsx exe in the task manager but fsx is running ok so i will leave well alone before it does go for a burton!!

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Roger, I can only talk about FTX Central in Windows 7, but there used to be a problem with it sometimes after installing new scenery. An FTX Central shortcut would appear on the desktop, as expected, but when you clicked on it, FTX Central would only appear in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. If you right clicked on it in the task bar, the only option presented was to shut FTX Central down. The solution, from Tim Harris at Orbx is:

- Open FTXcentral

- Hold Shift and right click the icon in the taskbar

- select 'Maximise', then close FTXcentral by clicking the 'X' in the top right

Is this of any assistance ? I cant even remember if XP has a task bar.

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Paul,

Yes i had seen this but i could not open it and yes xp has a Task bar, i unlocked it/locked it but central does not show on it,

Over the past three days of trying everything no go, some said it may be to do with the Registry /Malware and i don't know what else!! i have scanned all and it seems it's all ok, i would like to do a system restore to last year in December as it was working ok then but my system restore is not working,

Thanks anyway,

Roger.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

FWIW I have all Orbx scenery on my P3D. From what I can remember at the end of installing new sceneries you should re-run the library file that updates the FTX Central file lists. I have done this each time I have finished adding areas and have had no problems.

Is this what you did?

Allan

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Allan,

Yes i did the update no joy,

Thanks Gents for all your help, i am going to uninstall orbx and just fly default.

Cheers,

Roger.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Sorry to hear of your woes, Roger. This simmming business can be a real pain in the neck at times, can't it. I'll keep this issue in mind and if I ever see anything that might help, I'll let you know on this thread.

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hi Roger, :hello:

Not a solution per se, but perhaps some thoughts that may assist if you wish to return to the fray :)

Are you using a FTX England installer dated after March 2015, or have you installed the latest Orbxlibs file ? That 'may' be the issue.

The original FTX Central should still work under Windows XP, it's the new FTX Central 2 that doesn't. Version 2 was introduced with an Orbx library objects update in March 2015 (Orbxlibs 150331).

When you run your FTX England installer, it should let you know what version of the Orbxlibs it is installing. If prior to 150331, so far so good. All the FTX England patches are dated prior to that, so you should be able to install them without issue - I can't remember off the top of my head whether they update the Orbxlibs as well, so again, worth checking they don't install anything at or after 150331. That should leave you with the original FTX Central, which should run under XP.

The only other thing I would suggest is running their registry tool, to ensure that FSX is properly recognised after your uninstall/reinstall. It is here - https://fullterrain.com/freeware# - at the very bottom of the page.

Lots of ifs and buts, but hope this may help.
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Thanks again Gents for your help,

Colin i will give your suggestion a try later, going by you Avatar that is exactly what i need :lol:

Cheers,

Roger.