I'm afraid I'm done with JF

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PaulC
VC10
VC10

I'm afraid I'm done with JF

Post by PaulC »

Hello Chaps,

Well after several years and plenty of money spent I've come to the decision that I shall not be purchasing another Just Flight product.

I've had a lot of them, TriStar, Canberra, Chipmunk, Lightning, to name the main ones.

The TriStar was ok, but it consisted of those panels made in about ten layers so you can't resize the 2D ones plus lots of little bugs.

The Canberra- this actually ruined my FSX- having installed it it altered all the text of FSX, wouldn't run above about 4fps despite all the tips from JF.

Lightning- no proper Nav instruments and despite me passing this to JF and them asking questions, it never worked properly. Compared to Aerosoft, it was of a poorer standard than some Freeware.

The final nail in the coffin was the 146.

I had the JF 146. I couldn't shut the engines down,the starters continually ran, keeping N1 at 20% no matter what was done, the panels have that unreal shading and it was again, made up of 2D panels in about ten layers, so the Shift+number combination couldn't be used to flick between panels. A clumsy click area was all you had to flick about.

I took the plunge and bought the Quality Wings 146-

I don't know if any of you have this, but what an absolute dream. Perfect fps, techy and procedural, but if you just want to get in and go flying, you can if your prefer that.
A brilliant manual, not a 30 page token gesture. As a one to one comparison, just like the lighting, it proves to me that JF are nowhere near and seem to float about not quite sure where to pitch their products. They seem to have picked the price of premium add ones but the quality of mid table.

I kept going back and was disappointed every time. I really wish them well but it's not for me.

Anyone feel differently?

Paul

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: I'm afraid I'm done with JF

Post by Airspeed »

OUCH, Paul!
I've just looked at my book of purchased add ons....
on the Just Flight page:
FSX Steam (since uninstalled)
Milviz Phantom F4E
Milviz Phantom F4J & F4S
Tornado GR1
BOB 70th Anniversary Spitfire/Hurricane/Bf109
L-1011 TriStar
Flying Club Seneca,Tomahawk,Duchess,R44,Piper Warrior,Cessna152
Cliffs of Dover.
What have I done!? :doh: :dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, I have previously read of some complaints regarding Just Flight and the only add-ons that I have purchased from them are the DC6 but often wonder whether this is upgraded from the FS9 version as the dials and switches appear to be from FS9 era, but on the whole the DC6 flies reasonably well however, Traffic 360 has caused me so many problems I could write a book on it. Mostly when flying from Heathrow to say Manchester FSX crashes either on the way to Brookman Park Radial or Daventry as well as Trent. The AI settings were only 10% and after crashing I looked at what causes it. AI_Player, when Just Flight is removed and I use WOAI with settings set higher i.e. 50% no crashes.

Although I like WOAI there are not enough traffic at certain airports, Liverpool I am lucky with 100% setting to get more than 4 aircraft, so now looking ahead for another ai program such as Ultimate Traffic as cannot use Traffic 360 without it crashing.

With Just Flight at some point going to release the new BAC1-11 I will certainly hold off on this to see what the reports are as usually with all new releases regardless of who makes 'em there will be some problems encountered. I usually wait a good few weeks until any developer has managed to iron any outstanding problems.

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 29 Jun 2016, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

JF is mainly a publisher, rather than a developer. I think the Canberra & Tornado are done by an in-house team, but the majority of the rest come from a variety of developers, so the quality varies quite a bit!
I don't have the JF Tristar or 146 (I've got the QW model & done some repaints for that ;) ), so can't comment on those, but I'm generally satisfied with the one I do have (Canberra, Tornado, Dove among others).
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well, the number of products I've bought from JF runs into pages. The only things I've had real problems with (2) have been refunded. Not a lot else I can add.
Atb
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just seen this released from Sky Simulations, one for the hanger when I can get it.

http://www.justflight.com/product/sky-s ... s-dc-9-fsx

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

DaveG wrote:JF is mainly a publisher, rather than a developer.
Agreed. And to me that is part of the problem.

JF is very good on updates. I recently did the latest update on the Canberra, for example. But they are very poor on support and general communication.

For example, I really like the Mosquito. But it seems somewhat incomplete. When I made an inquiry on their plans for a service pack, I never got a response on their forum or from a direct PM. Guess they are too busy to listen to or talk with their customers.

--WH

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

To be fair.. it does say on the JF forums that they're not for support. Granted.. this seems to defeat the object somewhat and while you may get a response from another user.. you won't get an official one. Try buying something from Nemeth and you'll learn all about poor customer support (I know you know that already) :agree:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

I have to say I have generally always had good customer service replies from the when logging via their web page, recently I tried to set up the Tornado external to P3d V3 and logged a support ticket early hours of the night, I had a reply first thing the next day and proceeded to have a good email chat regarding LM and v3.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Yes... and, no.

I did not consider my inquiry to be a support issue, otherwise I would have gone through their support system. I basically asked what they were working on to be included in the next Mossie service pack.

I've read all the posted issues on their Mossie, and the only thing which I would like to see fixed are the external nav lights. In my option the use of the stock FSX nav lights detracts from an otherwise beautiful model and is unrealistic for a night bomber.

It's unlikely they will fix these since they're baked into the model. Anyways, I was just curious to see where they were going with future fixes (if any) and I'm still waiting for some response.

--WH